When it comes to buying the perfect t-shirt, size matters. Ill-fitting shirts can ruin the look you’re going for, making it essential to understand t-shirt sizing charts.
In this guide, we’ll delve into the nuances of t-shirt sizes, explore popular sizing charts from brands like Gildan and Bella Canvas, and learn how to create your own size charts using Placeit’s convenient templates.
🔥 Check out the best POD guide to start your business!
Jump Ahead to a Section:
- Understanding T-Shirt Sizing: The Basics
- Popular T-Shirt Brands & Their Size Charts
- Create Your Own T-Shirt Size Chart with Placeit’s Templates
- How to Properly Measure a T-Shirt
- What About the Different T-Shirt Fits?
Understanding T-Shirt Sizing: The Basics
Before we dive into specific size charts, let’s grasp the fundamentals of t-shirt sizing. Shirts are usually available in various categories, including unisex, women’s, men’s, and youth sizes. These categories often have different fits, so understanding the distinctions is crucial.
✨ In need of some of the best POD sites to start your business? Check it out!
- Unisex T-Shirt Size Chart: Unisex t-shirts are designed to fit both men and women comfortably. They tend to have a looser fit, making them popular for casual wear. Unisex sizes typically range from XS to 3XL, catering to a broad range of body types.
- Women’s T-Shirt Size Chart: Women’s t-shirts are tailored to fit the female body shape, offering a more contoured and slightly narrower fit than unisex shirts. Women’s sizes often start from XS and can go up to XXL or more, ensuring a diverse range of options.
- Men’s T-Shirt Size Chart: Men’s t-shirts are crafted with the male physique in mind, featuring broader shoulders and a straighter cut. Men’s sizes generally start from small and extend up to 3XL or larger, accommodating various body shapes.
- Youth T-Shirt Size Chart: Youth sizes are specifically designed for children and teenagers. They are available in age-based categories like small (S), medium (M), large (L), and extra-large (XL) to cater to different age groups.
Popular T-Shirt Brands & Their Size Charts
Gildan Size Chart
Gildan is renowned for its high-quality T-shirts, available in a range of styles and sizes. Here’s a glimpse of their size chart:
💡 Before getting your brand on a POD site, go over the Principles of Selling on PODs
Bella Canvas Size Chart
Bella Canvas offers trendy and comfortable t-shirts, ideal for various occasions. Their size chart includes:
👕 What other great products can you sell? We’ve listed the most popular POD products to offer in your shop!
Create Your Own T-Shirt Size Chart with Placeit’s Templates
Now, let’s explore how you can create your personalized t-shirt size chart using Placeit’s intuitive templates:
- Head over to Placeit by Envato t-shirt size charts.
- Select a template that aligns with your brand’s aesthetic.
- Customize your chart. Add your brand’s logo, choose colors that match your brand identity, and input the specific measurements for each size category. Add other details to clearly label each size category (e.g., XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL) and provide corresponding chest measurements. You can also include information on the shirt’s length and sleeve length for a comprehensive guide.
- Once you’re satisfied with your size chart, preview it to ensure everything looks perfect. Then, download the final design and share away!
Also, find tons of free templates for your brand here!
How to Properly Measure a T-Shirt
Properly measuring a t-shirt is essential to ensure the right fit, especially when you’re buying online or creating custom designs. Here are the steps to accurately measure a t-shirt:
- Lay the t-shirt flat. Place the t-shirt on a flat, even surface. Smooth out any wrinkles or folds to get accurate measurements.
- Measure the chest. Locate the seam where the sleeve is attached to the body of the t-shirt. Measure from one side of the shirt to the other, right under the armpits. Make sure the tape measure is parallel to the ground and not too tight, allowing for a comfortable fit. This measurement gives you the chest width of the t-shirt.
- Measure the shoulder width. Measure from the edge of one shoulder seam to the edge of the other shoulder seam. Ensure the tape is positioned on the back of the t-shirt, along the shoulder seams. This measurement provides the shoulder width of the t-shirt.
- Determine the shirt length. Measure from the highest point of the shoulder (where the shoulder meets the neck) down to the bottom hem of the t-shirt. Ensure the tape runs vertically along the seam line in the middle of the back. This measurement indicates the length of the t-shirt.
- Measure the sleeve length. Start from the shoulder seam. Run the tape measure over the shoulder and down along the outer edge of the sleeve to the hem. This measurement gives you the sleeve length of the t-shirt.
- Neck opening. Measure from one edge of the collar to the other. This measurement is essential if you prefer t-shirts with a specific neck opening size.
It’s essential to measure accurately and refer to the sizing chart provided by the brand or manufacturer, as different brands may have slight variations in their sizing. By following these steps, you can confidently choose t-shirts that fit well and ensure your online shopping experience is seamless and satisfying.
Sure, measuring your shirts the right way is important, but knowing how to price them is essential too! Head to our How to Price your Shirts post to learn more.
What About the Different T-Shirt Fits?
When it comes to t-shirt fits, there are several styles to choose from, each offering a unique silhouette and level of comfort. Here are the most common t-shirt fits you can find:
Also known as a classic fit, regular fit t-shirts are straight cut with consistent width from the chest to the hem. They offer a comfortable and relaxed fit.
Characteristics: Roomy around the body, with sleeves that fall straight down from the shoulders.
Suitable For: Casual wear, everyday use.
💡 Learn how to design something on Placeit and set it in your shop with this easy guide.
Slim Fit / Fitted
Slim-fit t-shirts are narrower and more tailored than regular fits. They are designed to fit closely to the body for a sleek and modern look.
Characteristics: Narrower around the chest, waist, and sleeves, creating a fitted appearance.
Suitable For: Fashion-forward looks, for those who prefer a snug fit. Dressy-casual occasions, layering under jackets or blazers.
Athletic fit t-shirts are tailored to accommodate a muscular build. They offer a bit more room in the chest and shoulders while tapering down towards the waist.
Characteristics: Broad in the chest and shoulders, narrow down at the waist.
Suitable For: Active individuals, athletes, and bodybuilders.
Longline t-shirts are characterized by their extended length, often reaching below the hips. They offer a modern and trendy look.
Characteristics: Longer in length, providing extra coverage. May vary in fits, from regular to slim.
Suitable For: Streetwear fashion, layering, contemporary styles.
Oversized t-shirts are intentionally larger than standard sizes, providing a loose and baggy look. They offer a relaxed and comfortable fit.
Characteristics: Wide and loose throughout the body, with extended sleeves and a longer length.
Suitable For: Casual and trendy styles, and fashion statements.
Crop t-shirts are shortened in length, typically ending above or at the belly button. They offer a playful and youthful aesthetic.
Characteristics: Shortened length, exposing the midriff. It may vary in fits from regular to oversized.
Suitable For: Summer fashion, athleisure, trendy and casual looks.
Remember that individual brands may have their variations within these categories, so it’s essential to check the sizing charts and try on different styles to find the fit that suits your body type and personal style preferences best.
Perfectly Fitted T-Shirts Await!
Understanding t-shirt sizes is the key to ensuring your customers find the ideal fit, enhancing their overall shopping experience. By exploring popular brands like Gildan and Bella Canvas and utilizing tools like Placeit’s templates, you can create informative and visually appealing size charts tailored to your brand. So, dive in, and empower your customers to confidently choose their perfectly fitted shirts, making every purchase a delightful experience.
If you’ve enjoyed this post and want to know more about getting into business, you might also want to check out our “Is Print on Demand Still Profitable?” post and the “Future of Print on Demand” post.