What Is Book Print On Demand?
Book print on demand services aren’t a new phenomenon, some of the most popular print on demand book sites have been around since 2002, but you might be wondering what it means to print on demand a book. Well, printing a book on demand is a process in which someone buys your book and it gets printed, as simple as that.
This means that you’ll be able to sell your books to interested readers without having to have a huge physical stock or making an upfront investment in printing. Book print on demand is especially useful to indie or first-time authors that want to have their books published without the hassle of going through a traditional publisher.
What Are The Best Print On Demand Book Services?
There are many different options to print on demand your next book, but there are only some that have good reviews, and most importantly there are different packages you should pay attention before committing your book to a service. We did some research on the best print on demand book services out there, here’s what we found:
Founded in 2011, Bookbaby offers services such as editing, cover design, formatting, distribution, and promotion as well as print-on-demand book services.
Founded in 2005, Blurb is a US-based self-publishing platform that lets you create, self-publish, promote and sell your own books. They have bookmaking tools that can help you create your book online without having to know programs like InDesign. Blurb specializes in image heavy print like photo books, trade books, and magazines.
Lulu Publishing was founded in 2002 as an online Print On Demand book service and self-publishing and distribution platform for authors. They also publish and distribute e-books and they can print full-color books as well as calendars and photo books.
The Book Patch specializes in print on demand books for authors and publishers. They also have their own bookstore for distribution.
In the chart below, we answered some frequently asked questions about the different sites that offer book print on demand so you can make an informed decision on which one to use.
BookbabyBlurbLulu PublishingThe Book Patch
|Minimum of Books||25||1||1||1|
|How much does it cost?||$99 – $299||Calculator||Calculator||Calculator|
|Languages Supported||All languages||All languages||All languages||All languages|
|Review on Trustpilot||8.7/10||8.7/10||8.5/10||8.8/10|
|Worldwide Shipping||Yes||70 countries||Yes||Yes|
|Fulfillment Time||3 – 4 weeks||4 – 5 days||3 – 4 days||2 – 3 days|
Make A Professional Cover With Our Book Cover Maker
Let’s be honest here, think of the last time you were browsing through a bookshop, the first book you probably reached for was the one that had an interesting looking book cover. Well, that’s what happens when most of us are browsing books online or offline we tend to hover towards attractive book covers that give you an idea what the book is about. With Placeit’s Book Cover Maker you can create one in minutes, it will look professional and you won’t have to wait days on a designer (or pay hundreds of dollars), you’ll have control of your book from cover to cover. Look down below at some examples of what you can achieve:
It’s super easy to make a book cover with Placeit, but if you still have doubts, check out the video below for a step-by-step guide:
5 Tips To Sell More Books
You’ve written a book and you’ve put it up on a book print on demand site, what’s next? Well, to sell something first you have to market it, here are five easy tips for marketing your book online:
1. Make an author website. If you’re trying to promote your book, make sure there is a place online where people can find information quickly on what the book is about as well as places where people can purchase it. For example:
The first thing you see is the name of the book and author. Then there is a large image of the author, which in this case it works because Mamrie Hart is a known Youtube and online personality. If your goal is to be known online, you could go with a similar layout for your book, but you could also swap her picture for one of your books.
In this example, the most important thing is the book, the synopsis (which is always good to have) and all the links where people can get the book.
2. Create an author profile on Goodreads. Goodreads is a great social platform for people who like to read because you can share and comment on books you’ve read. Marketing your book is all about being a part of a community, that way when you want to communicate something (like, say, telling people about your book) you’ll already have a community that supports your efforts.
3. Promote your Book with Mockups. When you’re trying to sell your books, you’ll want to have professional promotional images and you could take them yourself but its a hassle. A lot of times taking pictures for press releases and marketing your book is time-consuming and if you don’t have the right equipment or skills, your pictures might not come out as professional as you might want. Here’s where Placeit comes in handy because with book mockups you can create promotional images of your book in minutes without using expensive programs like Photoshop or Illustrator. What’s even better is that you can find book mockups for all types of books. Whether you’re promoting a recipe book or a children’s book, you can find the right mockups for it at Placeit.
4. Use Social Media to your advantage. As Goodreads is a great place to build a community that has interest similar to your book tastes, other social media channels can also function as platforms to market your book. Youtube has a huge Booktuber community who love and review books and Instagram has #bookstagram where people upload beautiful book pictures as well as reviews. Think of these spaces and your profiles as megaphones for your book and you as an author. Always include links to the places where people can buy your book here.
5. Get media coverage for your book. It might seem difficult but think of the niche your book belongs to. Is it a book about finances? Parenting? Cooking? Whichever niche your book belongs to, there must be podcasts, YouTubers, bloggers and websites that might be interested in covering it. Going local is a good choice too, look for your local newspapers and let them know you’ve come out with a book, they might be interested in writing a piece about you.
So, are you ready to make your latest book the most profitable you can? Are you ready to sell out at bookstores, online, or wherever you choose to sell your book? Make sure to follow these tips and you’ll be on the New York Times’ best-seller list in no time.
Your Book Cover Is The First Thing People Will See
It's true that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but if we're being honest, it's the first thing people will see. So make sure it's a good one. Don't know how to use design tools like Illustrator and Photoshop? Don't want to spend hours going back and forth with a designer? Make it yourself with Placeit's Book Cover Makers.Make a Book Cover Now!
Taylor Mclaren 5/5